English Language Institute
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-1909
Location: 302 Olin Hall
Description of the Courses
Schedule of Sessions
Tuition and Fees
The ELI-ASSET Test
ELI Faculty and Staff
Comments from ELI Graduates
Information about Applying to The University of Akron for Graduate or Undergraduate Studies
English for Academic Purposes Program
Founded in 1979, The ELI's English for Academic Purposes Program (EAP) serves two groups of people: students who are preparing to enroll in a university degree program in the United States and people who desire an intensive approach to language learning.
Students in the EAP program come from all over the world. Many are international students on F-1 student visas; some are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
Full-time students in the EAP Program attend 20 hours of noncredit classes each week for 15 weeks in the Fall and Spring Semesters and for 8 weeks in the Summer Session.
To learn more about the ELI's EAP Program, follow the links below.
English for Academic Purposes Program|
- Description of the EAP Courses
- The EAP program consists of four courses: reading, writing, listening, and grammar/speaking. These courses can be offered at four different levels of ability: pre-intermediate, intermediate, high intermediate, and advanced.
- Schedule for Upcoming EAP Sessions
- Three different EAP sessions are scheduled each year according to The University of Akron academic calendar. The 15-week Fall semester begins in late August or early September; the 15-week Spring semester begins in January; the 8-week Summer session begins in June. This page lists the schedules for the current and future sessions.
- Application Procedures
- Applying to the EAP Program is easy. The Application Procedures page describes the steps to complete your application and contains links to the application form and the financial guarantee form. You can print these forms from this page and mail them to the ELI.
- Tuition and Fees
- The ELI's EAP Program is an excellent value. The amount for tuition covers instructional costs. Fees include health insurance, a materials fee, and an application fee. The Tuition and Fees page also includes estimated expenses for a typical student living in Akron, Ohio.
- The ELI-ASSET Test
- The ELI-ASSET is the Academic Study Skills and English Test. It measures an ELI student's ability in reading, writing, and listening. All students enrolled in our EAP Program take the ELI-ASSET at the end of each semester. Students who plan to study in undergraduate courses at The University of Akron can use their ELI final grades and ASSET score to fulfill the English requirement for full admission.
- ELI Faculty and Staff
- The ELI has a dedicated faculty and staff. All of our teachers have years of experience in teaching English to students from many different countries, and most have advanced degrees in teaching English as a second language. Having lived, worked, or traveled overseas themselves, all of our teachers know the challenges of adjusting to life in a new country and language.
- Comments from ELI Graduates
- Read what ELI graduates think about our classes. Some of these students attended The University of Akron after completing their ELI coursework; others returned to their home countries, where they now have successful careers; others live and work in the Akron area.
- ELI Activities
- The ELI organizes activities and trips to local areas of interest so that students have a chance to learn about the Akron area and use English outside of class.
Upon completion of our EAP program, many students enroll in an AA, BA, MA, or Ph.D. degree program at The University of Akron. This page describes some of the programs available and provides details about the English language requirement for admission. For additional information you can go to The University of Akron's home page.