English Language Institute
302 Olin Hall
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-1909
Description of the U-ADEPT
Testing Schedule, Registration, and Fees
Test Registration Form
Test Results and Score Reports
The University of Akron Developed English Proficiency Test
Constructed in 2004, The University of Akron Developed English Proficiency Test, or U-ADEPT, assesses the speaking ability of international teaching assistants at The University of Akron. Graduate students who pass the U-ADEPT are certified as proficient enough in spoken English to provide classroom-related services in their graduate departments.
With the adoption of the U-ADEPT, The University of Akron allows prospective international teaching assistants to demonstrate their ability in spoken English in one of two ways:
- with a passing score on the U-ADEPT.
- with a score of 23 or higher on the speaking section of the Internet-based TOEFL Test, which is administered by Educational Testing Services.
To learn more about the U-ADEPT, follow the links below.
The University of Akron Developed English Proficiency Test: The U-ADEPT|
- Description of the U-ADEPT: Information for Test-Takers
- The U-ADEPT consists of four sections: a warm-up, two informal discussions (3 minutes each), two role plays (3 minutes each), and a teaching simulation (15 minutes). Two ELI faculty members administer the U-ADEPT, interacting with the test-taker throughout the 40 minute assessment. If you plan to take the U-ADEPT, read the information for test-takers carefully so that you are prepared for test day.
- Testing Schedule, Registration, and Fees
- The U-ADEPT is administered by the English Language Institute (ELI) in 302 Olin Hall at various times throughout the calendar year. For current dates, visit the Testing Schedule page. Test-takers should plan on an hour and 15 minutes to complete the pre-test paperwork and the test itself.
- To register and reserve a time for the U-ADEPT, you should call 330-972-7544 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 hours before your preferred test date and time. When you call or e-mail, please provide your name, your address, your phone number, your e-mail, and the name of your department at The University of Akron.
- To hold your reserved time, you must pay for the test when you register. The cost for the test is $125.00. You can pay by credit card over the phone or via e-mail. To pay by check, money order, or departmental requisition, you will have to visit the ELI office in 302 Olin Hall. Checks and money orders should be made payable to The University of Akron/English Language Institute.
- To complete your registration for the test, you must fill out the test registration form and bring it to the test center on test day. You must also bring a photo identification.
- If you do not pass the U-ADEPT and wish to take it again, you will be allowed to schedule a second test session 6 months after the first.
- Test Results and Score Reports
- The U-ADEPT is scored holistically by two test administrators. The test distinguishes 5 levels of speaking proficiency: Near Native, High Pass, Pass, Inadequate Oral Proficiency, and Lack of Oral Proficiency.
In addition to the holistic score, which indicates passing or failing, U-ADEPT test-takers receive useful diagnostic information about their speaking performance. This diagnostic information includes analytical scores about the test-takers' listening comprehension, language use, comprehensibility, communicative competence, and fluency and about their teaching skills.
Within 24 to 48 hours after the test administration, score reports are sent to the test-taker, his or her graduate department, and the Graduate School.
Please note that the U-ADEPT is only for use by The University of Akron. The scores cannot be sent to other universities.